Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The End of Time

I went for the Youth Service for this week as I had Paint-A-Home on Sunday 10 June 2007. Anna accompanied me to it, and to my surprise the service was held at the Covenant Chapel instead of the Sanctuary, and I got a greater surprise when I walked into the Covenant Chapel and realised that it's so big and pretty. =)

Anyway, the service started with worship that was led by two youths. The singer sang beautifully, I felt. Her voice is very unique, and it helped that the rhythm of the songs we sang are very ex-Avril Lavigne like. =)

There was a song we sang that had a line that went, "All I need is You". I used to be able to sing this without thinking deeply about its meaning, but in JC, after I started liking guys, I realised I couldn't truly sing that line in many songs and mean it. It would be a lie if I sang that line when I wanted those people I liked to like me back that badly.

However, on this day, I suddenly realised that this line meant that all I need, spiritually, is God. Only He can fulfil my spiritual needs. You know that kind of emptiness people get from being too busy with their lives and wondering what they are working so hard for at times? Once they know God, they will no longer feel this emptiness =)

The sermon was on Daniel 2, and it talked about Daniel interpreting King Nebuchadnezzar's dream.

The king had forgotten most of his dream by the time he awoke, and demanded for someone to tell him what he had dreamt of and what it means. No one around him was able to tell him what he wanted, and he was furious. In the end, Daniel managed to interpret his dream, with God's help, and here is what it means:

The king saw a great statue with a head of gold (Babylon, which reigned from 605 to 539 BC), chest and arms of silver (Medo-Persian Empire, which reigned from 539 to 331 BC), a belly of bronze (Greek [Macedonian], which reigned from 331 to 165 BC), legs of iron (Rome, which reigned from 163 BC to AD mid 4th century) and feet of iron and clay (the divided Roman Empire, which is Europe).

A stone smashed the statue and it increased in size until it filled the whole earth. This stone represents God and after it struck the statue, the world ended.

The head was smashed first, followed by the chest and arms, belly, legs and then feet. If we consider carefully, we are actually living now in the time of the feet. This thus means that the time of the end is near...

I found this sermon very interesting. It captured my attention and I stayed awake throughout the whole of it without the help of coffee =P

Alright anyway, the main message is that we should think more about what we are doing now, and if we are wasting our lives on things that are totally unnecessary and don't mean anything to God, we should focus more on Him and do what He really wants us to - namely, tell more people about what He has done for us in our lives and how much other people need Him. We also have to shine more for Him in our lives and not only concentrate on fulfilling our own needs. Our own needs may be important, but we have to consider that of others as well at times, and also not be too obsessed with fulfilling our own needs to bother about what God wants us to do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home